The Wizard of Oz: Youth Edition (Gr 6-8)
- Aunt Em:
- Uncle Henry:
- Hunk (Scarecrow):
- Hickory (Tin Man):
- Zeke (Lion):
- Miss Gulch (Wicked Witch of the West):
- Professor Marvel (The Wizard, Oz’s Voice):
- The Munchkins:
- The Jitterbugs:
- The Winged Monkeys and Nikko:
- The Winkie Guards and Leader of the Winkies:
- The Ozians:
- Lady in Rocking Chair, Rowboat Man #1 and #2, Cow:
- Crows, Apple Tree #1, #2, and #3, Optimistic Voices:
A sweet, innocent young lady with a streak of boldness. She lives on a farm with her Aunt Em and Uncle Henry but dreams of escaping to a far-off place where she doesn’t get into so much trouble. She and her dog, Toto, are inseparable. She is a bit outspoken and headstrong, but dearly loves her family and friends. Dorothy needs to be a strong vocalist and good dancer.
A typical, hard-working farmer’s wife. Although she is consumed by her responsibilities, underneath it all she cares very much for Dorothy’s feelings and well-being. Aunt Em must be able to show both her strong side and her softer side. Aunt Em sings the reprise of “Over the Rainbow,” but this is mainly an acting role.
A clumsy farmhand on the family’s farm who offers Dorothy advice about how to deal with Miss Gulch. The same actor that plays Hunk will also play the Scarecrow in Oz. Both characters talk about being smart and having a brain. The Scarecrow is also quite clumsy, so this actor will need to have good body control. This is a singing role, could be male or female, and requires good pitch and musical rhythm.
Another farmhand who talks to Dorothy about her problems, advising her to “just have a little courage.” His Oz alter ego, the Lion, is lacking courage. Although he will act tough from time to time, his true fearful self comes out in any scary situation. This actor must have good comedic timing and enjoy being onstage. This is a singing role and could be male or female.
These are the little people who live in Munchkinland, the place where Dorothy’s house has landed. They have a child-like innocence, and they are full of joy and enthusiasm as they celebrate their newfound freedom. There are solos and lines within this group, including: Munchkins #1 and #2, Mayor, Barrister, City Father #1 and #2, Coroner, Three Tots, and Three Tough Kids.
- Audition Overview: Auditions are required to be in the cast. Everything is in-person and you must complete both registration steps by the deadline for a valid audition.
- Callbacks: No one will be cut from this show and some roles can be assigned without a callback. If you are “called back” we need to see more from you. Please reserve the entire 2 hours in case it is needed. Parents will receive an email if their child should attend callbacks. Although additional scenes and song excerpts are used, they will be read/sung cold. We will help you. Just come ready to read, sing, and have fun!
This 10-20 minutes step includes:
- Write a short bio for the playbill. Do not skip this. (example in Key Links)
- List ALL conflicts as if called to every rehearsal. Include dates, times, and reason.
- Enter a sweatshirt size and any dietary/health restrictions
- (Crew only) Write a 1-2 paragraph essay including the qualities and experiences that makes you a team asset.
To prepare for your 3 part audition: (see Key Links)
- Sing “If I Only Had a Brain” and/or “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” - You choose!
- Same options for boys and girls, regardless of role.
- You do not need to memorize and you can sing with the sheet music in your hands if you like.
- Familiarize yourself with both script excerpts. Start at the straight line; end at the wavy line.
- Be ready to read for ANY character. Show us your character and expression!
- You do not need to memorize
- No dance experience is required!
- We will teach you a short piece of choreography when you arrive.
- Wear comfortable clothes that you can move in and gym shoes or jazz shoes. Please no flip-flops, slides, or crop-tops.
- Mandatory Show Fees:
- Cast: $150 (non-refundable) covers: scripts, snacks (pre-tech week), meals (tech week), sweatshirt, majority of costume (not shoes, some make-up but not all), and bus transportation from the Founder’s Campus to the high school on certain days.
- Crew: $75 (non-refundable) covers: meals (tech week), sweatshirt, and bus transportation from the Founders' Campus to the high school on certain days.
- During online registration, you schedule an automatic payment deducted after the show is cast and the first read-through is held.
- All cast and crew members must sell 10 tickets total and can be reserved now via Showtix4U. If the ticket sales requirement is not met by the deadline, you must agree to pay for unsold tickets up to 10 at the $10 rate.
- Parent Volunteering Required:
- There are many ways to volunteer that can work with your schedule and availability! Details on the UltraCamp Parent Volunteer form.
- Did you know your volunteer hours for this production make you eligible to become a Friends of Fine Arts (FOFA) Booster member? We appreciate EVERY hour of work dedicated to an amazing production!
- Emails are sent to the one email address you provided during registration. To add another email, just let us know. Make sure CHCAMusical6email@example.com is added to your contacts.
- We use the Remind app for urgent announcements or reminders.
- Student communication happens at rehearsals and through Canvas. Your student will receive an invitation to our Canvas page after auditions.
- Parent Interest Meeting: Please come and learn about the show, expectations, auditions, and ask questions. Recommended for new and returning families. If you miss the meeting, notes will be posted the following day. This is for parents only; students have their own interest meeting.
- Committee Start-up Meeting: One parent from each family is strongly encouraged to attend. We’ll meet in our committees and delegate tasks.
- Monday - Friday, after school, usually 3:30-5:00 or 5:30, with an occasional evening or weekend rehearsal. We expect students to be present for the entire length of each rehearsal to which they are called.
- Cast and Crew members are expected to be at all rehearsals involving their role. Possible conflicts submitted on the Conflict Sheet during audition registration.
- When your student is sick or you have a family emergency:
- Parents email CHCAMusical6firstname.lastname@example.org by 2:00 p.m. if . Do not send messages with other cast members and/or friends, as that method is unreliable.
- Students must take the responsibility to learn what was missed from a fellow performer and/or check Canvas for a video.
- Student Interest Meeting:
09/08/22, 3:15–3:45 p.m.,
Founders’ Campus Choir Room
- Parent Interest Meeting:
09/29/22, 7:00–7:45 p.m. Founders’ Campus Band Room
- Registration: Opens 09/06/22;
Closes 10/02/22 @ 11:59 p.m.
- Auditions: 10/03/22, 5:30-7:30 p.m. OR 10/04/22, 3:30-5:30 p.m. OR 10/04/22, 6:00-8:00 p.m., Cafeteria 7/8 and FC Choir Room
- Callbacks: 10/06/22, 6:00-8:00 p.m., Founders' Campus Choir and Strings Rooms
- Cast/Crew list emailed: 10/07/22 after 7:30 p.m.
- First Rehearsal (Mandatory for all Cast/Crew):
10/10/22, 3:30-5:30 p.m. in Cafeteria 7/8
- Show Fees automatically deducted: 10/11/22
- Committee Start-up Meeting: 10/24/22, 7:00-7:45 p.m., FC Band Room
- Headshots (Mandatory for all cast/crew): 11/09/22 @ 3:30-5:30 p.m. (crew may leave at 4:30) in Founders’ Campus Gr 7-8 Cafeteria
- Program Ad Opportunities:
- Cast/Crew Ticket Requirement deadline: 01/04/23 @ 11:59 p.m.
- CandyGram online order deadline: 01/10/23 @ 11:59 p.m.
- Blu-Ray Order Deadline:
01/20/23; Sent home via students around 02/08/23
Parent Interest Meeting Notes (available after in person meeting)
AUDITION Steps:1/2: Register in UltraCamp
Song 1: "If I Only Had a Brain”
- Sheet Music
- mp3 Music WITH Words
- mp3 Music WITHOUT Words
Song 2: “Somewhere Over the Rainbow”
- Sheet Music
- mp3 Music WITH Words
- mp3 Music WITHOUT Words
Script 1: Dorothy, Glinda, and Wicked Witch:
Script 2: Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tin Man, and Lion:
Bio Instructions and examples
Tips to Support Your Child Through Auditions: For Parents Only
Theater Grade Gr 3-8 General Info
Questions: Email Communications Coordinator, Tammy Rosenfeldt, at: CHCAHSTheatre@chca-oh.org