Gr 9-12 Arts Auditions for 2019-2020
- Symphony Orchestra/Concert Band/Cintered - non-auditioned ensembles, request class with your counselor
- Lab Band - non-auditioned ensemble, request class with your counselor
- Steel Drum Band/Percussion Ensemble - non-auditioned ensemble, request class with your counselor
- Electric Jazz Orchestra (EJO) - CHCA's honors jazz band - required auditions held every spring with preference given to Gr 10-12 students
- Honors course graded on a 4.5 GPA scale
- Required to take weekly private lessons
- Current grade 9-11 instrumental music students: In March during class
- CHCA grade 9-11 students not currently in an instrumental music class, and CHCA newly accepted grade 10-12 students:
- Sign-up: In the MSL Instrumental Music Room for an audition
- Auditions: March date from 3:00 - 7:00 p.m. in the MSL Instrumental Music Room. Questions? Contact Dan Grantham, Instrumental Music Director, at Dan.Grantham@chca-oh.org
- 2019-2020 Newly Enrolled Students only: Electric Jazz Orchestra is closed after 04/05/19. For further information, contact Director of Fine Arts Mona.Summers@chca-oh.org.
2019-2020 Audition Material:
- Memorize all major scales up to 3 sharps and 3 flats
- Contact Dr. Grantham or Mr. Mangual for an audition packet
Encore is CHCA's honors choir for rising 10-12 graders which requires an audition. Students can register for Concert Choir without an audition. Incoming freshman who are interested in eventually auditioning for Encore are strongly encouraged to sign up for Concert Choir. (See Course Descriptions) Up to 24 students will be chosen for Encore based on musical ability and potential (dynamic singing that will blend with other students in a group setting, ability and/or interest in reading music) and ability to perform basic choreography. (You don’t have to be a dancer! Just be able to move with the music.) Additional extra-curricular opportunities through the Theatre Department also exist.
Encore Audition Information:
- Who: Current grade 9-11 grade students are welcome to audition!
- When: March
- Current Choir students audition in class
- Students NOT currently enrolled in Choir audition during their PRT
- Sign-ups are posted on the call board outside the US 9-12 choir room in March. Sign up for a time and pick up an audition form and audition materials. Please be on time to your scheduled audition! Bring the completed audition form and also prepare a one-minute portion of a song that displays good vocal technique. Any genre is fine. Students will also sing vocal exercises to hear range and sight read a short melody.
- Fee: $75/girls; $50 boys (Payable through UltraCamp starting 08/05/19)
- 19-20 Newly Enrolled Students Only: Encore auditions open until 06/30. Contact Sara Potts, Choir Teacher, Sara.Potts@chca-oh.org
CHCA's Dance Academy is an extra-curricular tailored specifically for CHCA students PK-grade 12.
- Students may enroll in technique classes without an evaluation.
- Current program students receive an evaluation in April for placement recommendations the following year.
- Current CHCA students with previous dance experience interested in our competition teams, and not currently in the Dance Academy program, should contact Melissa.Kidd@chca-oh.org to schedule an evaluation by 06/07/19.
- Newly Enrolled Students for 2019-2020 with or without experience: Contact Contact Dance Academy Director Melissa.Kidd@chca-oh.org for more information or if you have questions and would like to discuss your child’s interests and placement.
Consult each show's homepage for times and audition details. In general:
- Sign up for an audition time on the call board outside the theatre.
- Complete the online registration 1-2 weeks prior to audition. (Although payment will be scheduled at this time, payment will not be deducted from your account until after the cast is announced. The Fine Arts Department will cancel all scheduled payments in the event a student auditions but is not cast.)
- Bring any printed forms described on the show homepage to the audition.