Gr 9-12 Arts Auditions for 2020-2021
Encore is CHCA's honors choir for rising 10-12 graders which requires an audition. Students can register for Concert Choir without an audition. Incoming freshman who are interested in eventually auditioning for Encore are strongly encouraged to sign up for Concert Choir. (See Course Descriptions) Up to 24 students will be chosen for Encore based on musical ability and potential (dynamic singing that will blend with other students in a group setting, ability and/or interest in reading music) and ability to perform basic choreography. (You don’t have to be a dancer! Just be able to move with the music.) Additional extra-curricular opportunities through the Theatre Department also exist.
Encore Audition Information:
- Who: Current grade 9-11 grade students are welcome to audition!
- When: Both audition steps should be submitted by Wednesday, 04/29/20
- Step 1: Submit this online Encore Audition Form
- Step 2: Upload a FlipGrid Video Audition Recording here: https://flipgrid.com/41ceb435 (use the password CHCAEncore)
- Video Requirements:
- Please introduce yourself at the beginning of your video
- Sing "Happy Birthday" or "The Star Spangled Banner" (Choose one. Sing a cappella and with your best tone!)
- Sing this sight singing example.
- The example begins on "do". You may sing on solfege or any neutral syllable ("lah" or "doo")
- Try your best to do the correct pitches and rhythms
- Choose any tempo (fast or slow)
- Sing confidently!
- Video Requirements:
- Fee: $75/girls; $50 boys (Payable through UltraCamp starting 08/03/20)
- 20-21 Newly Enrolled Students Only: Encore auditions open until 06/30. Contact Sara Potts, Choir Teacher, Sara.Potts@chca-oh.org
CHCA's Dance Academy is an extra-curricular tailored specifically for CHCA students PK-grade 12.
- Current program students receive an evaluation in April for placement recommendations the following year.
- Current CHCA students with previous dance experience interested in our competition teams or technique classes, and not currently in the Dance Academy program, should contact Melissa.Kidd@chca-oh.org to schedule an evaluation by 06/05/20.
- Newly Enrolled Students for 2020-2021 with or without experience: Contact Contact Dance Academy Director Melissa.Kidd@chca-oh.org for more information or if you have questions and would like to discuss your child’s interests and placement.
Come perform with us! Our students are excelling in the Upper School Fine Arts program and having a lot of fun being a part of the instrumental music community. Review Course Descriptions for information about our four ensembles:
- Symphony Orchestra/Cintered - a non-auditioned ensemble that combines strings and winds/percussion. Performs a wide repertoire. Request class with your counselor.
- Lab Band - a non-auditioned ensemble that performs as a jazz, concert, and pep band throughout the school year. Request class with your counselor.
- Steel Drum Band/Percussion Ensemble - a non-auditioned ensemble, request class with your counselor.
- Electric Jazz Orchestra (EJO) - CHCA's honors jazz band - required auditions held every spring with preference given to Gr 10-12 students
- Honors course graded on a 4.5 GPA scale
- Required to take weekly private lessons
- Current grade 9-11 instrumental music students: In March during class
- CHCA grade 9-11 students not currently enrolled in an instrumental music class, and CHCA newly accepted grade 10-12 students:
- 2020-2021 Newly Enrolled Students only: Electric Jazz Orchestra is closed after 04/04/20. For further information, contact Director of Fine Arts Mona.Summers@chca-oh.org.
2020-2021 Audition Material:
- Memorize all major scales up to 3 sharps and 3 flats
- Contact Dr. Grantham or Mr. Mangual for audition materials
Consult each show's homepage for times and audition details. In general:
- Sign up for an audition time on the call board outside the theatre.
- Complete the online registration 1-2 weeks prior to audition. (Although payment will be scheduled at this time, payment will not be deducted from your account until after the cast is announced. The Fine Arts Department will cancel all scheduled payments in the event a student auditions but is not cast.)
- Bring any printed forms described on the show homepage to the audition.