Rohld Dahl’s Matilda Jr. The Musical
Recommended for all ages.
- Matilda Wormwood
- Hailey Tobin
- Miss Honey
- Claire Ballish
- Agatha Trunchbull
- Ahva Bishop
- Mr. Wormwood
- Ethan Ping
- Mrs. Wormwood
- Ellery Godby
- Michael Wormwood/Nigel’s Dad
- Paxton Haynam
- Kitan Aina
- Nolan Kaufman
- Eliana Edington
- Bridget Krieger
- Elise Denne
- Brielle Noe
- Melody Ewen
- Bennett Beucler
- Mrs. Phelps
- Hannah Hopkins
- Big Kid/Erica’s Dad
- Jacob Noh
- Acrobat/Big Kid
- Ava Stiglitz
- Sergei/Tommy’s Dad
- Jeremy Flowers
- Cook/Big Kid
- Faith Henderson
- Jonathon Kossuth
- Big Kid 1/Amanda’s Mum
- Aly Verdin
- Big Kid 2/Alice & Hortensia’s Mum
- Aubrey Butrum
- Big Kid 3
- Joselyn Baker
- Big Kid/Lavender’s Mum
- Tatiana Lanier
- Big Kid/Erica’s Mum
- Caroline Meyer
- Big Kid/Nigel’s Mum
- Lucy Ashbrook
- Big Kid/Bruce’s Mum
- Emma Hockenbery
- Big Kids
- Isabella Cortina
- Juju Andry
- Our awesome CREW will be
- Lilah Ahmed
- Monday - Friday, after school, usually 3:30-5:00 or 5:30, with an occasional evening or weekend rehearsal. We expect students to be present for the entire length of each rehearsal to which they are called. Check the rehearsal calendar for dates and times.
- Cast and Crew members are expected to be at all rehearsals involving their role. Submit any possible conflicts on the Conflict Sheet (as if called to every rehearsal), including time/reason for conflicts.
- Email the directors at CHCAMusical6email@example.com by 2:00 p.m. if your student is sick or you have a family emergency. Do not send messages with other cast members and/or friends.
- When absent, students must take the responsibility to learn what was missed from a fellow performer and/or check Canvas for a video.
Audition Overview (CAST): Auditions give us an opportunity to meet you and listen to you act, dance, and sing! Required for CAST; be sure to complete ALL steps below.
Call Backs: If you are “called back,” it simply means we need to see more from you. Please reserve the entire time for call backs in case it is needed. Parents will receive an email if their child should attend Call Backs. Although additional scenes and song excerpts are used, these will be read/sung cold. We will help you. Just come ready to read, sing, and have fun! Some roles can be assigned without a call back. No one will be cut from this show;
Joining CREW: You do not need to attend auditions; rather submit a short essay and register in UltraCamp by the deadline.
Step 1 (All Students - Cast and Crew) :
Register in UltraCamp (see Key Links)
- Be prepared to spend 20-25 minutes completing this.
- List ALL conflicts with the rehearsal calendar, including dates, times, and reason for conflict. Note that some dates are mandatory!
- Give a sweatshirt size and any dietary/health restrictions or other concerns we should know.
- Complete all forms in UltraCamp. Do not skip anything as you might lose your progress.
- CAST ONLY: Write a short bio for the playbill. DO NOT SKIP THIS! Please include your full name, grade, and past shows or interests. Write it in 3rd Person. (see Key Links for an example)
- CREW ONLY: Write a 1-3 paragraph essay including the qualities and experiences that would make you an asset to the team.
Step 2 (CAST ONLY):
Step 3 (CAST ONLY):Prepare for your 3 part audition:
Either “When I Grow Up” OR “Naughty” OR both (you get to choose!). All boys and girls have the same options, no matter what role you are hoping for. You are welcome to sing with the sheet music in your hands if you like. (SEE KEY LINKS FOR ALL MATERIALS.)
Familiarize yourself with the 3 script excerpts. Be ready to read for ANY character. The goal is to show us your character and expression! This does NOT need to be memorized, and we will have plenty of copies at auditions. (SEE KEY LINKS.)
Wear comfortable clothes that you can move in and gym shoes or jazz shoes. Please no flip-flops, slides, or crop tops. We will teach you a short piece of choreography when you arrive. No dance experience is required.
- Parent Interest Meeting: Please plan to come to the Parent Interest Meeting. Learn about the show, expectations, auditions, and have a chance to ask any questions. Recommended for families who are new to theatre AND returning families. If you miss the meeting, we will post the notes in Key Links the following day. This meeting is for parents only, but there is also be a Student Interest Meeting that your child can attend. (See Important Dates.)
- Supporting Your Child: A great resource that will help your family get through auditions and maintain a healthy perspective is in the Key Links: A Parent’s Audition Survival Guide.
- Committee Start-up Meeting: One parent from each family is strongly encouraged to attend. We’ll meet in our committees and delegate tasks.
- Communication: We use email to communicate weekly updates. Emails will be sent to the main address that you provide during registration. If you want to add another email address, just let us know. Please check email weekly to stay informed, and make sure CHCAMusical6firstname.lastname@example.org is added to your contacts. We will also use the Remind app for urgent announcements or reminders.
- Student communication will happen at rehearsals, but also through Canvas. Your student will receive an invitation to our Canvas page after auditions. You are welcome to join as well if you like.
- Mandatory Show Fees:
- Cast: $150 (non-refundable after the first rehearsal) Includes: scripts, snacks, meals (tech week only), hoodie sweatshirt, the majority of their costumes (some personal items—undergarments, shoes, and make-up—will need to be purchased by parents), and the production party.
- Crew: $75 (non-refundable after the first rehearsal) Includes: snacks, meals (tech week only), hoodie sweatshirt, and the production party.
- During online registration, you schedule an automatic payment deducted after the show is cast and the first read-through is held.
- All cast and crew members must sell at least 10 tickets total and can be reserved now via Showtix4U (see Key Links). If the ticket sales requirement is not met by the deadline, you must pay for unsold tickets up to 10 at the $10 rate.
- Parent Volunteering Requirement: Each family is required to serve a minimum of 6 volunteer hours. You will complete a volunteer form during registration that will ask your volunteer preferences. There are many areas to serve: costumes, props, communication, production party, set builds, box office, and more.
- Did You Know? Did you know your volunteer hours for this show make you eligible to become a Friends of Fine Arts (FOFA) Booster member? Did you know FOFA members not only get their name in the playbills but receive other great benefits? Visit the link above to check it out.
To make your 5 minute appointment (8:15 a.m. to noon or 1:00 - 3:45 p.m.) at the Welcome Center, email Judi.Davis@chca-oh.org at least 14 days in advance of when you intend to volunteer. While most background checks clear within 14 days, it can take up to 30 days for a background check to successfully clear; therefore, being proactive well in advance of the starting date of work, a camp or volunteer event is necessary to ensure you get the results back timely.
- Your driver's license or a form of identification if you don't have a driver's license
- A 2nd form of identification (passport, SS card, or birth certificate)
- Gr 9-12 minor volunteers should bring this completed Parental Permission form
Thank you in advance to everyone for volunteering, and for helping to ensure the safety of our students. We appreciate you!
Anna Brink taught Gr 7 Language Arts, Drama, Newspaper, and Communications for six years beginning in 2000. Anna helped start the CHCA theatre program for the middle grades in 2003 with their first musical, Annie Jr. and now works in the Fine Arts office. She is certified in the iTheatrics Method, a professional development program for directors focused on youth performers. Aside from the multiple shows she has directed at CHCA, Anna is a contracted writer and editor for iTheatrics and iMom.com. She lives in Lebanon with her husband and four children and she is very excited to add "CHCA Parent" to her list of titles, as her older two children now attend the Upper School!
- Student Interest Meeting:
09/07/23, 3:15–3:45 p.m.,
Founders’ Campus Choir Room
- Parent Interest Meeting:
09/14/23, 7:00–7:45 p.m. Founders’ Campus Band Room
- Registration: Opens 09/01/23;
Closes 09/25/23 @ 11:59 p.m. (Closing Date for High School Helpers: 11/09/23 @11:59 p.m.)
- Auditions: 09/26/23, (Session 1: 3:30-5:30 p.m.; Session 2: 6:00-8:00 p.m.) Cafeteria 7/8 and FC Choir Room
- Callbacks: 09/29/23, 3:30-5:30 p.m., Founders' Campus Choir and Strings Rooms
- Cast/Crew list emailed: 09/30/23
- First Rehearsal (Mandatory for all):
10/03/23, 3:30-5:30 p.m. in FC Cafeteria 7/8
- Show Fees automatically deducted: 10/06/23
- Committee Start-up Meeting: 10/12/23, 7:00-8:00 p.m., FC Band Room
- Headshots (Mandatory for all): 11/07/23 @ 3:30-5:30 p.m. (crew may leave at 4:00 or after their photo is taken) in Founders’ Campus Gr 7-8 Cafeteria
- Program Ad Opportunities:
- Ticket purchases: complete by 01/10/24 for Cast/Crew requirement
- CandyGram online order deadline: 01/17/24 @ 11:59 p.m.
(Now updated dynamically!)
AUDITION Steps:1/3: Register in UltraCamp
3/3: Prep for your AuditionSinging:
- Song 1: “When I Grow Up” measures 1-26 only
- Song 2: “Naughty” measures 1-19 only
- Script A: Pgs 10-11 (Mr. Wormwood, Mrs. Wormwood, Matilda, Michael)
- Script B: Pgs 28-29 (Miss Honey, Nigel, Lavender, Matilda)
- Script C: Pgs 43-44 (Matilda, Nigel, Trunchbull, Lavender, Amanda)
Bio Instructions and examples
Theatre Grade Gr 3-8 General Info
Questions: Email Anna Brink at: Chcamusical6email@example.com