Freshman Orientation, Pictures & Study Habits
Welcome Class of 2027!!
It is important that all freshman attend Freshman Orientation, whether they are a new or returning CHCA student. We have a full agenda, so be assured that your student will have fun and feel prepared for the first day of school.
Students will hear from Upper School administration, guidance counselors and upperclassmen and have the opportunity to get all of their questions answered. Your student will leave the event knowing where their classes are, the school rules, who is in their classes and so much more! We want them to feel welcome and confident about the start of school.
What should they bring?
- An empty stomach! We begin with a pancake breakfast in the cafeteria, prepared by our Student Peer Advisors. We also provide lunch and snacks throughout the day, so no need to bring food.
- Supplies for general school use: 3 packages of 3x5 lined index cards + 2 bulk packages of individually wrapped healthy snacks such as granola bars, raisins, pretzels, protein bars, goldfish, etc.
- Glasses or contacts if they wear them. We will complete their annual vision and hearing screening during the day so they will not have to be pulled out of class during the school year.
- All medicines (epi-pens, Inhalers, OTC medicines) in a Ziplock bag with the student’s name marked clearly on the bag. All medications must be in their original container with the prescription on them OR a new, unopened bottle of over-the-counter medications labeled with your student’s name. Students will give these to the Nurse so they have them for the first day of school. Please ensure all your medical forms are submitted on Magnus Health, accessible through your Veracross account, before the first day of school.
- Nothing else is needed (students will receive a print out of their schedule and no need for notebooks, pens, etc.).
What to wear?
Modest, casual attire. Please note, Freshman Orientation is also freshman Picture Day, so please make sure they know to dress appropriately for the picture. No hats. Details and pre-ordering information is posted with the Back to School information.
Can they have their phones?
They will need their phone for a few tasks throughout the event, but for most of the day we will ask that they keep them put away.
What about sports practices that day?
All athletic coaches are aware of Freshman Orientation and know you will not be at practice between 8:00 a.m. -3:00 p.m. Your coach may opt for a later practice that day. Please connect with your coach with questions.
Do freshmen also go to US Kick-Off on 08/09/23?
No, freshmen do not attend as the Kick-Off is for 10th-12th graders.
Can you tell us about the Study Habits Workshop from 2:00-3:00?
Mr. Tracy Early, Freshmen Counselor and INFOhio (a digital educational resource) Coach will present this event. Developing a solid study habits foundation is crucial to academic success. We are excited to have Mr. Early lead this workshop as he will be an ongoing resource to our students. Topics covered include:
- Why we procrastinate and what to do about it
- How to motivate yourself to get your work done
- Tools for organizing your workload
- How to break big projects down into manageable pieces
- Methods on how to prioritize assignments
We strongly encourage your student to participate in this program and believe it will equip them for a great start academically. RSVP Today
Questions? Contact Audrey.Keyes@chca-oh.org, Associate Director of Upper School Admissions & Alumni Engagement