Students in grades 9-12 choose from experiences and trips that take place both on and off CHCA’s campus. This format allows students to take advantage of resources beyond the school setting, to experiment with different styles of learning, grow as leaders, reach out to others and appreciate other cultures and places.
Intersession is a graduation requirement that appears on a student’s transcript and is calculated in their GPA with a numerical grade, carrying a .25 credit. Teachers design courses, announced 7-8 months in advance, that cover a wide range of interests, from mission projects and cultural/curricular extensions to leadership development and career exploration. CHCA is committed to providing a range of costs and experiences for students: 41% of all 2013-2014 WinterTerm offerings are $500 or less with 32% costing $200 or less. Online course optioning should be submitted within one week of course announcement; once student enrollment is complete, some courses with low numbers may be cancelled.
Intersession is a distinctive program at CHCA High School that encourages students to engage in God’s world. The experience may influence a career choice, college major, or interest in further mission work, and it always enables students to mix with new friends who might not be in their classes, sports, clubs or grade level. It both creates community and takes our community out into the world.
- Check out this video about our unique Intersession. All of the photos were taken by CHCA students and teachers on previous Winter Term trips, and the music ("One Big Holiday", by My Morning Jacket) was produced under the Creative Commons license and distributed on The Wired CD
- Read Dr. Nicholas’ thoughts on Intersession when he was featured in Best Magazine
- Parent Letter from Winter Term 2014
- Investigate Winter Term 2014 in depth with this slideshow
- FYI: Cycle of Winter / May Terms (January - January - May - January - January - May)
School year 2013-2014 -- January 6-17, 2014
School year 2014-2015 -- May 2015
School year 2015-2016 -- January 2016
School year 2016-2017 -- January 2017
Winter Term 2014 dates
- April 24 - Course Options Announced to rising grade 9-12 students and on website
- Starting April 24 - Online Course Optioning
- May 2 (3:30 p.m.) - Deadline to submit printed confirmation email with the required parent signature as directed in email confirmation
- May 10 - Parents receive email confirmation on tentative student placement
- May 22 - Deadline to complete registration and pay deposit via online Registration System
- Starting May 28 - $50 Late Registration Fee applied to all students who have not completed their online registration
- July 15 - Automatic Payment for courses $2000+ (Reminder sent 3 days prior)
- August 19 - Automatic Payment (Reminder sent 3 days prior)
- October 8 - Automatic Payment (Reminder sent 3 days prior)
Questions? Email Intersession@chca-oh.org